Sunday, January 29, 2012

Am I allowed to use a real castle in my novel?

The castle has a perfect name and the picture is really stunning. In a nutshell, it's the castle of my dreams and it fits perfectly in my novel which, hopefully, I'll finish and get it published. I know you can use McDonalds or Burger King in your story, how about a location?



If I use the name and the location of a real castle and insert my characters as the dwellers, will I face legal consequences?



Thanks a lot :OAm I allowed to use a real castle in my novel?
I don't think so. You can try if you wish, and if you aren't allowed to the editor should pick it up. By the way, I'm a big Kyle fan too. We're slowly edging towards October! I am far too impatient!Am I allowed to use a real castle in my novel?
make up a name for the castle and base it off the real oneAm I allowed to use a real castle in my novel?
No - just rolled eyes. If you set your story in a real castle, people will assume your characters really lived there (unless they are, say, servants whose names won't have been recorded in the first place). When they discover they didn't, they'll assume you were too lazy to do any research. Not good.



You cannot piggyback your novel off a real location. If you want your characters to live in a stunning castle, then you need to make it stunning in your descriptions. It's irrelevant whether real, stunning photos of it exist. They won't be in your book.
unless you really expect to be published, you can use it anyway



and if you do get it to a publisher, he will know...and you could always change it then



so go ahead and use it

No comments:

Post a Comment